Thursday, April 4, 2013

FFwD - Pierre Herme’s Olive Sables



It's French Fridays with Dorie, and it is Friday, 5 April.  First up, I wish a very happy birthday to two amazing women whom I admire greatly - Jane Asher and Agnetha Faltskog.  I grew up wanting to be Agnetha during her heyday in ABBA, and Jane Asher is a more recent discovery through her time as a 60s icon (before my time - the Internet is a great research tool) and her more recent adventures in cake entrepreneurship.  (Yes, I know she has done many other things, but these are the reasons that I think she's amazing.) Congratulations ladies, and I hope you both have a marvellous day.

OK, back to our FFwD challenge this week, which was Pierre Herme's Olive Sables. 

I didn't know what to make of this recipe, which contains savoury olives and sweet icing sugar, and uses potato starch (a new to me flour).  Even more weirdly, it contains the grated yolk of a hard boiled egg:

 

Yes, really:


Who knew?

I am not sure what contribution the egg yolk made to the biscuits, but they surprised me.  They are really good - I thought that olives and icing sugar were a terrible match, but they somehow work in these cookies, which are just very slightly savoury.

I'd definitely make these again.  To see what everyone else thought of these biscuits, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website