Thursday, November 7, 2013

FFWD - Compote de Pommes



This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is Compote de Pommes - the book provides for the compote to be prepared two ways, but I chose the quickest one only, and made a half batch. 

What is compote de pommes?  Well, it really seems to be just apple sauce prepared by sauteeing the apples with minimal sugar rather than by boiling them up with lots of sugar. 

Instead of the laborious process of straining the soft, cooked apple, I whizzed it up in the food processor. I didn't add any extra sugar other than the tiny quantity that was originally added to the pan, and I didn't add butter.  Accordingly, this apple sauce is primarily just apple.

I have been eating it out of the jar, plonked on top of my breakfast muesli and as an accompaniment to icecream.  All of them are good.  As this sauce is not very sweet, it could also be used for savoury applications eg with roast pork.

To see what the other Doristas  thought of this recipe, visit the LYL section of the website.