Tuesday, March 12, 2013

WWDH - Vegetable Pies



It's Wednesday (known as "hump day" in Oz), and that means it's Wednesday with Donna Hay.  Wednesday snuck up on me a lot more quickly this week, as Monday was the Labour Day holiday in Melbourne.  I spent Sunday and Monday in Bendigo, a famous Victorian gold mining town, and yes, I went down a gold mine!  Sadly, I do not have any gold to share with you.

Kayte chose this week's Donna recipe, being Vegetable Pies from Modern Classics I.  I envisioned these as being veges encased in puff pastry.  However, I was wrong.  These pies are a little more sophisticated, and comprise a shortcrust pastry filled with roasted vegetables, ricotta and cheddar.  They are also supposed to be sprinkled with parmesan on top, but I somehow forgot to do that.  No matter - these pies were delicious!!  The cheese gives a lovely kick to the vegetables, and it forms a harmonious mix on the palate.

The only thing I would change next time is to blind bake the pastry first, as my pastry had a slightly soggy bottom.  However, it was only minor, and I still enjoyed these pies very much.

Thanks to Kayte for choosing this recipe - do check out what she thought of her pick, as well as Margaret and Chaya.