Tuesday, March 5, 2013

WWDH - Beef and Caramelised Onion Cous Cous Salad


For Wednesday with Donna Hay this week, I chose Donna's Beef and Caramelised Onion Salad from Off the Shelf.  You can also find the recipe online here.  As the name of the dish suggests, it is comprised of pan fried beef fillet slices atop a bed of onion cous cous and baby spinach.

I took heed of the Cookbook Critic's comment on the excessive onion in the cous cous, and I only used one onion (instead of four).  For me, that was plenty.  I used wholemeal cous cous instead of white, for no reason other than that I could.  I had a heck of a time finding cous cous that wasn't already flavoured with dried veges by Ainslie Harriott! In the end, I bought some from the organic shop in Flinders Street (as Mediterranean Wholesalers was not on my weekend travel list).  My beef fillet (which cost a motzah) was cooked to medium rare.  It looks funny because I don't have a sharp carving knife for meat, so the slices are a little mangled.

Although it is reminiscent of Manu on My Kitchen Rules to say so, for me, this dish needed some sauce.  I liked it way better on day 2 when I added some chilli jam to the mix.  

To see what my fellow Donna Hay group members, Kayte, Margaret and Chaya, thought of this dish, visit their websites on Wednesday their time.