Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Brazil Nut Ginger Cake (adapted from Dan Lepard)

 
To coincide with Australia Day, Dan Lepard published an irresistible recipe in The Guardian for Macadamia Ginger Cake with Lamington Icing.   I enthusiastically printed it out, as I knew this was one I would have to make.
 
It took me a while, but I finally got around to making this cake - and it was well worth the wait.  The golden, light cake was the perfect vehicle for the roasted nuts and crystallised ginger, while the chocolate icing rounded it off nicely.
 
 
The only changes that I made were to substitute Brazil nuts for the macadamias (because that is what I had), and to use ordinary chocolate water icing instead of lamington icing.

This cake went down a treat at work and is definitely a keeper.  It doesn't really remind me of lamingtons - it is in a class of its own.

Enjoy!