Thursday, August 9, 2012

FFwD - Warm scallop salad with corn, nectarines and basil


This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is warm scallop salad with corn, nectarines and basil.  As nectarines are not in season here (it's winter!), I used tinned peaches in their stead.

I found making the basil coulis a bit of a faff that I could do without.  I think I would have been better to take my tube of ready to eat basil out of the fridge rather than make this basil coulis from scratch, and ended up with virtually the same result.

Overall, I enjoyed this salad - what's not to love about pan fried scallops.  The corn fascinated me, because it is not cooked in the usual way - rather, a lime dressing is drizzled over the uncooked kernels, presumably "cooking" it in acid, like the meat in a tartare.  However, this is definitely a summer dish, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been warmer than 10 degrees celsius outside.

To see what the other Doristas thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.