Thursday, October 10, 2013

FFWD - Boeuf a la Mode


This week's French Friday with Dorie dinner is Boeuf a la Mode.  What does that mean?  I have no idea.  However, broken down into main components, it  is roast beef and vegetables in a red wine-based sauce.  I served mine with stir fry veg - yes, I know that's a little weird, but it fits in with my current dietary circumstances better than mashed potato and pumpkin.

I found this dish a bit of a pain to prepare, because you have to marinate the beef and veges for 12 hours first, then you have to render the sauce, brown the beef, soften the veg, combine with sauce and brandy, and only then can you cook it - for 3 hours.  It is an all weekend job.

I was also going out on the day after the marination so a 3 hour babysitting session with the beef was not happening.  Instead, I stuck it all in the slow cooker on low for 5 hours - which was probably around an hour too long, but it did the job.

This meal was OK, but not worth the cost in terms of my ultimate enjoyment of it.  My favourite part was the marinated veg.

To see what the other Doristas thought, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.