Friday, October 26, 2012

Daring Bakers - Layering Up: Mille-feuille/Napoleon



Our October 2012 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Suz of Serenely Full. Suz challenged us to not only tackle buttery and flaky puff pastry, but then take it step further and create a sinfully delicious Mille Feuille dessert with it!

The challenge required us to make puff pastry, vanilla pastry cream and royal icing, then assemble these components into Napoleons (or as we would say, vanilla slices).  I have made all of these components before, so I wasn't fazed by this challenge.  However, it is a time consuming process, especially as the pastry needs to be turned and rested numerous times, so I recommend setting aside the best part of a day to make these, or making them over several days.

The end result was delicious, if rather sweet.  At work, my Napoleons were judged to be professional and delicious, so I guess I did OK on this one.

There will be mille feuille all over the food blogosphere today should you care to see some more.