Thursday, July 4, 2013

FFwD - Wheat berry and tuna salad


We've made it to Friday again.  This week, the weather has gone from mild to cold, dry to wet, still to windy.  Brrrr. 

It's not really salad weather here, but this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe was Wheat Berry and Tuna Salad.  Luckily, the grains are heated, so I could serve it as a kind of warm salad.

Wheat berries are not sold here, so far as I can tell.  The closest I could find was farro, and I didn't bother to buy it when I knew I still had a bag of pearled barley from another Dorie experiment to use up.  I used whole tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes, and I used ready mashed avocado because I could only find hard, horrid little avocadoes sold as  a three-pack in the supermarket.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  I made half a recipe so I got two servings out of it.  It is not as nice the second day, as some of the sharper flavours in the mix, especially the raw onion, start to take over.  However, it is still OK.  I am not sure that I would make it again, but for a healthy meal, it is tasty.

To see what the other Dorie cooks thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the website.