Thursday, December 13, 2012

FFwD - Chicken, Apples and Cream a la Normande


This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is a special treat - it is chicken, apples and cream a la Normande, and is one of the most delicious chicken dishes I have ever tasted.  Yes, I gush - however, you know that I am just as ready to tell you if I don't like a recipe, so take this as an honest to goodness, although subjective, review. 

This dish features pan fried chicken in a cream sauce dotted with apples and mushrooms.  If you would like to replicate this deliciousness, you can find the recipe online here.  The only changes that I made were to use light cream instead of heavy cream and use a brown onion rather than a yellow one (I have never seen a yellow onion!), and my choice of alcohol was brandy (as that is what I had in the house).

As per Dorie's serving suggestion, I served my chicken with Dorie's lemon steamed spinach, which cut nicely through the creaminess of the sauce.

I have never been to Normandy, but boy, I like the way they cook chicken.  To see whether the other Dorie cooks agree, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.