Sunday, December 25, 2011

Los Gatos Bar and Grill, Los Gatos CA


Brian modelling a tater tot.

How was your Christmas Day?  Did you have fun?  Spend it with family and friends?  Or a quiet one alone?  Get lots of presents?  Whatever you did and however you spent Christmas Day, I hope you had a great time, or that it least was relaxing and not stressful for you.  I spent my Christmas Day with family in my home town.

Let me take you back to California for the next instalment of my extra-curricular activities on my recent work trip.  On the Wednesday evening, after I was fully rested and feeling way more chipper than the night before, our host company took us to dinner.  We were hoping to go to a Greek restaurant called Opa! in Los Gatos, but it was full and we did not have a reservation.  However, two doors or so down the street, we found  Los Gatos Bar & Grill, who accommodated our party of 6 quite easily.  Los Gatos Bar & Grill is exactly what it says on the tin - a bar with hearty meals available.  It is bright and colourful and full of action.  The atmosphere is very relaxed, and we sat on couches either side of a low table.  The service was prompt and cheerful, and added to the carefree air of the establishment.

We started off with a shared starter of tater tots (because I wanted to know what they were!):



In Australia, tater tots are known by the much less fun name of potato gems.  Brian, a member of our party and featured at the top of this post with a tater tot, likes to take photos of food too, although he is not a blogger.  

For mains, Jeff ordered the Mexicali Burger - guacamole, pico de gallo, pepper jack cheese, deep fried jalepenos:




The sweet potato tater tots were gorgeous - they were sweet and caramelly in flavour.

Brian ordered the seared Ahi Tuna Sandwich, comprising seared ahi tuna, sweet chili coleslaw, and wasabi aoli on a soft potato roll:







As for me, I braved the 11oz Grilled Flat Iron Steak with garlic mashed potatoes, fresh mixed vegetables and a port wine demiglaze:




The demiglaze on the steak was magnificently rich and fruity, and the steak (which I ordered medium rare) was soft and melt-in-your-mouth.  I washed it all down with a very fine glass or two of Esperto Pino Grigio.

This dinner capped off a fun night.  Would I go again?  Yeah, absolutely!

Los Gatos Bar & Grill
 15-1/2 N Santa Cruz Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95030
Ph: +1 408 402.5870