Thursday, October 27, 2011

FFwD - Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good



This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good, caused me some serious issues.  First, I didn't want to make a whole pumpkin, as I have no idea what I'd do with it.  I then tried to buy a small pumpkin for one  - I couldn't find one, which is why you see the far less dramatic half pumpkin that I settled for.  When I went to sccop out the pumpkin, the hollow was only tiny, so I had to remove some extra flesh (not an easy task).  And finally, while I can see that done with a full pumpkin, this would be a dramatic centrepiece at a dinner party for Halloween or Thanksgiving, the taste is not that exciting - I prefer roast pumpkin sprinkled with salt and pepper and herbs, and sprayed with oil before roasting.

That's my whinge out the way - now here is the cut pumpkin:



It tasted OK - I think the cheese makes it, although the filling also includes cubes of bread, cooked bacon, chives, cream and nutmeg.

Go look at some more pumpkins via the FFwD website - anyone who used a whole pumpkin will have prettier results than mine.