Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Candied blood orange tart


My friend Sandra and I recently attended the Veg Out Farmers Market at St Kilda.  It was a fun event, with my favourite purchases being a chocolate and toffee coated pear on a stick (bliss!), and a basket of blood oranges.

Blood oranges are not available all year round and are harder to get than navel oranges, so I wanted to use my blood oranges for something special that showcased the natural beauty of their ruby red interior.    Haalo of Cook Almost Anything at Least Once had featured a recipe from a Gourmet Traveller Annual Cookbook for candied blood orange tart - and that is the recipe I chose.  You can find it here.



This tart is truly devine - it comprises a buttery, melt-in-the-mouth pasta frolla crust, a semolina cream custard filling, and gorgeously glowing, bitter yet sweet, candied blood orange slices on top.

I could have eaten the entire tart by myself - it was that good.  This is a rare statement for me, but it was seriously one of the best desserts I have ever tasted, whether bought or homemade.  To limit my intake, I took all but two slices of the tart to work to share.



I served the tart with a drizzle of syrup from making the candied oranges.  It is quite a beautiful deep pinky orange colour, and I have saved the rest for icecream topping.

If you love fruit tarts, do yourself a favour and make this one.