Thursday, August 8, 2013

FFwD - Duck with Peaches


For French Fridays with Dorie this week, we were assigned Duck Breasts with Fresh Peaches.  Fresh peaches being few and far between here at this time of year, I used canned peaches.  My poultry vendor, bless, also does not sell or does not understand the difference between a duck breast and a duck leg.  Being the carefree, go with the flow kind of gal that I am (ha!), I threw caution to the wind and bought the duck leg.

I did not expect to enjoy this - the last time I tried to cook duck, I did so as a newbie and without a recipe.  The result was pretty horrid.  However, on this occasion, with Dorie's guidance on cooking and the beautiful sauce recipe, this duck was a doddle to make and delicious to eat.  In the sauce, I subbed red wine for port, as I wasn't going to buy a bottle of port for two tablespoons to put in this sauce.

If I happen to come across some duck again, I would definitely cook it like this.  To see what the other Dorie cooks thought, visit the LYL section of the website.