Thursday, January 31, 2013

FFWD - Brown sugar squash and brussels sprouts en papillote


It's Friday again, and for French Friday with Dorie this week, our recipe is brown sugar squash and Brussels sprouts en papillote (ie veges in a bag).

The recipe is to chop up butternut pumpkin (I used Kent pumpkin as there were no butternuts at the supermarket) and apple, toss with Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper, sprinkle with brown sugar, then steam in a foil bag in the oven for 25 minutes or so.

I wasn't really sure about this, but then I tasted it - and like wow - I really enjoyed this.  The brown sugar and apple gave the vegetables a pleasant sweetness.  I served my brown sugar squash and Brussels sprouts en papillote with salmon baked in the bag with coriander, lemon juice, lemongrass, salt and pepper:


This was a delicious dinner, and quick and easy to make.

For dessert, I had this delicious brownie cupcake baked by Yvonne from my Pilates class:



To see what the other Dorie cooks thought of brown sugar squash and Brussels sprouts en papillote, visit the LYL section of the website.