Thursday, January 10, 2013

FFwD - Long and Slow Apples



It's French Friday with Dorie, and this week the recipe is Long and Slow Apples.  I wish that my week had been long and slow, but instead it has been full on, and all rather a blur.

The name of Long and Slow Apples is rather apt for this dish, as it is long and slow, not only in cooking time, but in preparation - it took me an hour to peel, core and slice the apples, then arrange them in layers with butter and spiced sugar in 4 ramekins.  After two hours in the oven, with the apples lightly compressed under an empty ramekin, the apples cook down into this:



Certainly, the end result is tasty, comprising soft apple layers in almost caramelised sugar, but is it worth the time?  I'll leave that an open question.

I served my apples warm with raspberry swirl icecream rather than the ginger cream suggested in Around My French Table.  I have friends over for dinner tomorrow, and will be serving the apples again for dessert, but this time, they will be chilled.  It will be interesting to see how the chilled version contrasts in flavour and texture.

To see  what the other group members thought, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website in due course.