Monday, March 19, 2012

BWJ - Irish Soda Bread



Today's Baking with Julia recipe is Irish Soda Bread.  Our hosts for this week, Carla of Chocolate Moosey and Cathleen of My Culinary Mission, will have the recipe, or buy the book.

This bread was as easy peasy - only 4 ingredients required, 5 if you add cranberries like I did.  I don't even buy buttermilk anymore - I read once that you add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk to make a buttermilk substitute so that is what I did for this bread.  I made only a quarter recipe because apparently this bread does not keep well.

The bread came out well - no rising time, quick to bake, and a soft, light interior:



I ate a piece warm out of the oven spread with fig jam - it was pretty damn fine, if I say so myself.

You can see what the other group bakers thought by visiting the LYL section of the BWJ website.