Thursday, September 27, 2012

FFwD - Endives, apples and grapes



This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is Endives, Apples and Grapes- or in my case, Radicchio, Apples and Grapes, because endives are nowhere to be found in my neck of the woods, and some research showed that radicchio, also known as Italian chicory, would have a similar flavour to endives (also known as Belgian chicory). Eww, and on that count, I think they are right - I found the radicchio unbearably bitter.

The dish looks pretty in the pan:


 
and I liked the apples and grapes, but I could not abide those bitter leaves.  I have three serves left - I suspect I will be dressing this heavily to cover up the bitterness. The radicchio, at $2.50 for a head, was not cheap (sought out at David Jones Foodhall, as Coles could not oblige)  - I am glad that I only bought one.


To see what the other FFwD participants thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the website.