Friday, September 28, 2012

Drunk Blondies


One of my favourite bloggers is Adam Roberts of The Amateur Gourmet, primarily because he makes me laugh and has a unique food voice.  If he stuffs up, he isn't afraid to say so - and I love that.  I am also secretly envious of the cool places that he has lived (New York City and now L.A.), and love reading about his life there.  However, I have been rather remiss in reading his blog lately due to the behind-the-scenes craziness of my existence, so it had been ages since I visited until the other day, just by chance, I thought of his blog and took a look.

Kaboom!  Up front and centre was a post on some Drunk Blondies that Adam had made from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook.  And I just knew that I had to make them.  And make them I did, subbing walnuts for pecans and Glenfiddich for Bourbon.  The results of my labours are pictured at the top of this post.  Gorgeous, huh?  And super easy - no mixmaster required.  I couldn't really taste the whiskey, but that didn't matter a jot (even though the word "drunk" was what caught my eye in the first place).

I would love to buy this cookbook too, but I have to stop buying baking books - I think I have hundreds of them now, even though I try to limit myself to something a little different from the norm.

Thanks to Adam for posting this great recipe and for bringing this cookbook to my attention.  Now perhaps I should go and make some of Adam's bourbon caramel sauce ....