Monday, July 30, 2012

BWJ - Blueberry Peach Pie


This week's Baking with Julia involved lots of summer fruits and berries - which can be a challenge when you are based in the opposite hemisphere and it is winter.  Today was rather windy and wet and cold, which is a pretty awful combination. 

Our recipe was Blueberry Nectarine Pie, and our hosts are Lizzy of That Skinny Chick Can Bake and Hilary of Manchego's KitchenBig problem - there are no nectarines available here for love or money at this time of year.  I got around it by using canned peaches instead, and I used frozen blueberries.  Because the fruit is cooked before it goes into the pie, this did not cause me any sogginess problems.  I also used all butter and no shortening in my pie crust, because that is how I roll.  Here is my pie:
    This pie was delicious.  I had no problems with the filling being runny, and the crust was suitably flaky.  To see what the other BWJ bakers thought of this pie, visit the LYL section of the BWJ website.

    On a different note, a big thanks to Choc Chip Uru of Go Bake Yourself for presenting me with two awards - The Addictive Blogger Award and One Lovely Blog Award: 



The rules of the awards are:
  • Thank the person awarding you
  • Share a little about why you blog and how the journey started
  • Paste the blog award on your page
  • Nominate 10 other bloggers you feel deserve the award
I started blogging after being a lurker for two years.  I found blogs through an article in The Age on cupcake blogs, and that took me on the full blogging journey.  In the beginning, I thought that I couldn't write a blog as I wasn't qualified and no-one would read it.  Wrong on both counts really - all you need for your own blog is a passion and a voice, and although the readership was rather slow (I talked to myself for about 7 months), it did eventually take off.  Now, I actually like going back to my old posts for my own interest.

I am going to pass these awards on to Kathy of Bake Away with Me and Chunklet of Yummy Chunklet, two bloggers whom I met through French Fridays with Dorie.  Go check them out - they have fun blogs.

Have a great week.