This week's Baking with Julia involved lots of summer fruits and berries - which can be a challenge when you are based in the opposite hemisphere and it is winter. Today was rather windy and wet and cold, which is a pretty awful combination.
Our recipe was Blueberry Nectarine Pie, and our hosts are Lizzy of That Skinny Chick Can Bake and Hilary of Manchego's Kitchen. Big problem - there are no nectarines available here for love or money at this time of year. I got around it by using canned peaches instead, and I used frozen blueberries. Because the fruit is cooked before it goes into the pie, this did not cause me any sogginess problems. I also used all butter and no shortening in my pie crust, because that is how I roll. Here is my pie:
- This pie was delicious. I had no problems with the filling being runny, and the crust was suitably flaky. To see what the other BWJ bakers thought of this pie, visit the LYL section of the BWJ website.
On a different note, a big thanks to Choc Chip Uru of Go Bake Yourself for presenting me with two awards - The Addictive Blogger Award and One Lovely Blog Award:
The rules of the awards are:
- Thank the person awarding you
- Share a little about why you blog and how the journey started
- Paste the blog award on your page
- Nominate 10 other bloggers you feel deserve the award
I am going to pass these awards on to Kathy of Bake Away with Me and Chunklet of Yummy Chunklet, two bloggers whom I met through French Fridays with Dorie. Go check them out - they have fun blogs.
Have a great week.