Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blueberry Corn Muffins



Last Friday, I had to deliver the Legal component of the Sales team training.  At dinner the night before, I learned that the products and marketing team had handed out chocolates in their session.  Accordingly, I had a lot to live up to.  To uphold the honour of the Legal team, I decided to make muffins to hand out, primarily because they are quick and easy.
I flicked through Leila Lindholm's A Piece of Cake, and my eye was caught by a recipe for Blueberry Corn Muffins.  They sounded tasty, I had all the ingredients and they were easy to make - I was sold.

These muffins did not disappoint:


The soft, sweet berries contrasted with the slight grittiness of the corn.

To make 12 of these muffins (I got 14), you will need:

100g butter
2 eggs
150ml buttermilk
180g plain flour
150g polenta or cornmeal
150g sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon plain flour
150g fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin papers.  Melt the butter, then add it to a bowl with the eggs and buttermilk, and beat well with a fork or whisk.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until well combined. 

Shake the blueberries and plain flour together in a plastic bag to coat the berries, then fold through the  muffin mixture.  Scoop the muffin batter into the papers, filling them approximately 2/3 full.  Place the muffins into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.  Unmould the muffins onto a wire rack immediately on removing them from the oven. 

Serve warm or cold.