Thursday, May 10, 2012

FFwD - Provencal Olive Fougasse



This week's French Fridays with Dorie brought another surprise hit for me - Provencal Olive Fougasse, a French bread from the Provence region flavoured with olives and rosemary, and shaped by slashing the dough. 

I am not a bread girl to start with, so the thought of making a savoury bread appealed to me even less.  However, this bread is special - it is light and airy, more like a flaky pastry than a bread to me.  The olives and rosemary are a beautiful flavour combination, and the salt sprinkled on top of the bread before baking adds a special touch.

I pulled off a piece of this while it was still warm, and liked it so much that I had another piece straight away.  It is a delightful bread, perfect for a dinner party or a picnic.  The only drawback is the length of time that it takes - 7 hours all up rising and resting time.  However, once that it over with, it is very simple to make.

To see what the  other FFwD members thought of this bread, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.