Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wednesdays with Donna Hay - Brown-Buttered Beans


Welcome to Wednesday!  This week, Kayte of Grandma's Kitchen Table and I are making brown-buttered beans for Wednesdays with Donna Hay.

If you have never tried browned-butter, then I can highly recommend it to you.  It involves cooking the butter until it turns brown, which in turn makes the flavour nutty, and makes it a perfect accompaniment to sweet and savoury dishes.

This is the first time that I have used browned butter in a savoury dish (as far as I can remember, anyway), and it gave a superb flavour to the steamed green beans, which are also topped with roasted pine nuts for crunch.  How good is that?

Kayte is cooking these along with me - go visit Kayte to see her beans.  And of course, you are welcome to cook along with us - the recipes are online at donnahay.com.au.

Next week:   Puffed cheese omelette