Thursday, January 19, 2012

FFwD - Quartre-quarts



This week's French Friday with Dorie is Quartre-Quarts.  Well you may ask, "Eh?"  Well, to explain it in Dorie's words, it is like the French version of a pound cake.  However, in my view, it is much lighter and springier than a pound cake, and dare I say it, more delicious.

Look at that golden fluffy crumb: 


The cake is topped by a sprinkle of brown sugar which is supposed to create a glaze, but in my case, kind of sank into the cake - which suited me, as it caramelised and gave a certain crunch to the cake.

I loved this cake on its own, although Dorie suggests serving it with cream and berries - but why mess with perfection?

To see what everyone else thought of this cake, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website (but give it a while - the US is half a day plus behind Oz).