Monday, April 2, 2012

BWJ - Pizza Rustica



After another fortnight's hiatus, I bring you this week's Baking with Julia recipe - Pizza Rustica, a recipe by Nick Malgieri. Our host for this week is Emily of Capital Region Dining.  What is pizza rustica?  Pizza rustica is more akin to an egg, cheese and bacon pie than a pizza - kind of a quiche with crust on top as well as below.

The pastry for this pie ended up causing me the most grief, and it wasn't the bottom crust that caused it - in our warm weather, the very soft pastry strips broke when warm or cracked when chilled, so I ended up with a patchwork rather than a lattice of pastry on top of my pie: 


The pie tastes quite good, but is not something I would make regularly - it would be good picnic fare, I think.  One thing I did find rather weird was the sweetness of the crust - it contains sugar, but I think it would have been better without it.

To see what the other BWJ bakers though of this dish, visit the LYL section of the Baking with Julia website whenever it is Tuesday in North America - can't tell if it's East or West Coast time on that site, but my guess is it's East.