Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Anzac Biscuits



It is Anzac Day today, as I mentioned in my previous post, so I could not resist making Anzac biscuits for the occasion.  Merle's award winning recipe would have been terrific; however, my aim was to go for less fatty boombah, slightly healthier, so I used the National Heart Foundation's recipe instead.  That way, I can bake my cookies and eat them too.

And the verdict?  Well, they are nothing like the ones mother used to make, and they certainly not as buttery and rich as I am sure that Merle's would be; however, they are very servicable Anzac biscuits for the weight conscious, with the lovely caramelly flavours of golden syrup and sugar against the crunch of the oats.  They also beat the commercial version, as far as I am concerned.  I realise a lot of people love the commercial version, but for me, the homemade version wins every time, even the low fat version made with margarine.

I hope that my fellow Australians are enjoying their Anzac Day.