Thursday, November 10, 2011

FFwD - Spiced Squash, Fennel and Pear Soup



On my walk into work from the station this morning, I saw the loveliest little girl walking with her Mum.  She had brown curls, the longest ever eyelashes, silver sandals, pink leggings trimmed with lace, a long white spaghetti strap dress trimmed with silver sequins, and a white T-shirt underneath, and she was twirling just like the dancing man.  It made me happy just to look at her carefree abandon, which was such a contrast to her well-dressed but harried-looking Mum beside her.

This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe allowed me to recycle ingredients from a couple of weeks ago when we made Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good.  Even using just half a pumpkin, I had a lot of pumpkin to use up, so I was delighted when I saw that this week's recipe, Spiced Squash, Fennel and Pear Soup, could also be made using pumpkin instead of squash.

This soup is really different to anything I have ever tried before.  It is quite thick, and has fruity, citrus overtones from the orange peel that you cook with the soup.  The spices give the soup a pleasant zing, and overall, it is a rather delicious soup:




This from a girl who isn't a huge fan of soup!

To check out what the other FFwD members thought of this soup, visit the LYL section of the website for this week.