Thursday, September 29, 2011

FFwD - Deconstructed BLT and Eggs


This week's French Fridays with Dorie features a nemesis of mine - salad.  I am so not a salad kind of girl.   The salad concerned is a Deconstructed BLT and Eggs - that's right, a sandwich reborn as a salad.

However, this particular salad surprised me - I made it for my dinner, and I loved it!  The salad comprises of aragula (I used baby spinach), sun-dried tomatoes and cherry tomatoes dressed with a mustard vinagrette, topped with chopped crispy pan fried bacon, croutons crisped up in bacon fat, and a hard boiled egg.  (You are also supposed to put mayonnaise on the eggs, but I wasn't buying a product I won't use for one spoonful on top of an egg.)

I was amazed at how well the bacon cooked up without any added fat in the pan - which makes me shudder at how the average fryup feautures bacon cooked in even more fat.

This salad was really very tasty, with its mxture of sharp, sweet and salty flavours, and I would definitely make it again.

To see what the other FFwD participants thought of this salad, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.